Saturday, July 7, 2012

Remember You Have Molded Me Like Clay

To those in search of answers for the tough questions, revelation of a distinct purpose, and an all-encompassing Peace: may these words bring you comfort.

      If you were to take a snapshot of the deepest caverns of the recesses of man's mind, it would most likely surprise many at a similarity they would find in each and every man and woman. Somewhere  tucked away, in the darkest corner, hidden from view, locked away in an impenetrable  safe is a lingering question that we all fear. That fear, is what undoubtedly leads us to put that question so far out of mind that we can blind ourselves to the fact that we want- no need this question to be answered. We had much rather tuck it away and think to ourselves out of sight out of mind. No matter how secure a hold we have on this question, no how many chains we wrap around it, how many doors we hide it behind, it seems to slip out into the forefront of our minds at times and wreaks havoc on our pretense of a controlled life where we have answers to all our questions. That question that ominously lingers, waiting to be answered is one men throughout history undoubtedly have wrestled with. We try to distract ourselves by busying ourselves with trivial tasks, that keep our minds from having what I call unsupervised thinking. When we are not fully engaged in hiding that question, our sub conscious immediately runs to that safe, rips it open and releases that question, and in a sense allowing ourselves to truly meditate on it. We have mentally imprisoned ourselves on a conscious level. We refuse to honestly contemplate the depths of this question: what is man's true meaning? Why are we here? What is our purpose? (Yes, I know that was three questions) First, we must have an accurate definition of the word "meaning". This is the best depiction I have see thus far:


    "Life is not primarily a quest for pleasure, as Freud believed, or a quest for power as Alfred Adler taught, but a quest for meaning. The greatest task for any person is to find meaning in his or her life. Frankly saw three possible sources for meaning: in work (doing something significant), in love (caring for another person), and in courage during difficult times. -Harold S Sunshine, Man's Search for Meaning- Victor Frankly.

   Let me begin, by tackling Franker's first connotation of meaning: doing something significant. This is the step, although being the first of many, I believe many people get trapped in. I myself have spent the majority of my life trying to find meaning in doing this of significance. My motivating factor to do well in school was to be remembered as the successful student, or to succeed in sports to be remembered as a great athlete. Then my desires changed to be remembered on a grandeur scale, I did not want to be forgotten to the pages of history. So I resolved to myself to become a political figure, when my interest in that waned I resolved to myself that if I could not stand the test of time at least my name would. So I took an interest in architecture, like buildings in large cities in Atlanta. I found myself looking at every plaque on the great stone walls seeing these men's names. I then realized that man would built that building would not identify himself as builder, but maybe as a loving husband, or caring father. I had a paradigm shift in my search for meaning, it was no longer in work. While there is nothing wrong with striving for excellence and recognition, at the end close of your life I would venture to say very few people are comforted by the accomplishments. Imagine a wife trying to console her dying husband with this, "Honey, I know your time is soon, but don't worry, remember that spelling bee you won in the third grade?"Now I know that is a silly analogy, but give a moment to think about how silly it is to strive after achievements to define your meaning in life. No seriously do it. As in stop reading for 2 minutes and give some thought to that. Ok, for those of you that contemplated that isn't it almost reliving to know that your meaning is not wrapped up in the achievements of this life? My hope is not that you stop striving but that you have a clearer vantage point on what work is. It simply is that, work. The adage goes: he who does not work, does not eat, and that remains just as prevalent today as it is important. However, I have met so many people (who are good people!), that think their identity is the same as their job description, and it breaks my heart. They do not see they are capable of, and created for so much more.
  
     Our identification with our purpose for being hear on earth to some is not only depicted in their job status, but also encapsulated by their love. But we'll come back that source of meaning. We first must understand our search for meaning by our courage. This source is not as easy for my identify with as work. However, I have heard many first hand accounts of courage in my family. My father was in the First Persian Gulf War, My grandfather in Vietnam, my great grandfather in WWII; so I have been lucky enough to be raised around courageous role models the entirety of my life. But, the source of courage I believe most of us falsely trust in is our feeble attempt to be bold in difficult situations. Yes, being shot at is a difficult situation and I would never want to be there. While hot lead speeding towards us may not be our difficult situation, possibly a failed relationship, a lost loved one, regrets, financial instability- fill in the blank. The point being is our purpose for being here is not identifiable in our temporary troubles. The may leave their marks on us, but they do not, I repeat DO NOT, define us. For those of you who have been told your past mistakes have left you tainted, to those that continually struggle with insecurities, and to those that are currently weathering far bigger storms of this life, you are not meant to find our identity in those. You may be enrolled in Life's school of hard knocks and seem to be taking nothing but Honors courses, but your temporary afflictions are not the reason you have breath in your lungs. You are not roaming the earth to simply make it from one tragedy to the next or one let down to the next. Your courage is admirable, and by all means a fantastic character trait to have. Many do not. Ever seen Wizard of Oz? ( yes, another cheesy reference.) The lion wanted courage from the Wizard, but he truly had it all along. My point is, you have everything you need inside you to carry out your purpose here on earth. Yours just may not be fighting witches and flying monkeys.

     Finally, your source for meaning cannot be found in a person. Many people I come in contact with on a daily basis continually are striving for a relationship or clinging onto one for dear life. As I was writing this, a received a text message from one of my students. They were upset because the summer was coming to a close and they would be going to a different college than their significant other. Now, it is always tough to give relationship advice when it's 2am, it is even more difficult when you are single. But I was able to comfort the student in encouraging them, and reassuring them that identity and purpose is not found in people. They had to fully and firmly believe that their significance as a person was not in the love for that significant other. Love is overcomplicated sometimes. That's why I saved this source for last. While your meaning is not found in love for a spouse, girlfriend, family member, or even complete stranger it is in a sense. Let me be clear here, that statement is not a contradiction within the same sentence. If you have made it this far in my feeble attempt to answer man's Mount Everest in form of a question, then finish the race and hear me out. Our significance here on earth is not found in work, difficult situations, or temporary relationships, but an everlasting relationship. There has been a plan in motion for centuries that have led into the culmination of events that led you to this article today. Whether you are reading this on your iphone, ipad, blackberry, laptop, desktop, or whatever hunk of technology- hear me out. God is the reason and the purpose for you being here on this earth, and the reason that you have come across this blog. My prayer is that last sentence did not lose you. Please, for a few seconds allow any unbelief, or past hurts to be laid aside for a moment, lest you be ever hearing, but never understanding; be ever seeing, but never perceiving. I pray that you see with your eyes, hear with your ears, understand with your heart and turn to God and be healed. He is the reason and purpose man is here. He is our purpose. He created us (Genesis 1:27) for Himself (1 Corinthians 10:26),  He sent Jesus (John 3:16)  to restore us into right relationship with Him, Jesus died on the cross for our sins (1 John 2:2) to bring God Glory (John 12:27-28).

 You see, mans meaning is found when he draws on Christ as the source of his Purpose. (John 15:5)We were created by God for God, and When our love for Him is true it drives us to act differently (Matthew 5:16, 1 Peter 1:13 , Colossians 3:17, Philippians 4:8, and then we find our Meaning. My prayer is that you find your eternal meaning today, which far outweighs the temporal meanings we find here on this earth. Fall on his grace and hear Him calling you today. Be ever hearing. Be ever perceiving. Seek the Lord while He is near. May your Spirit be renewed and a new meaning be birthed in you today.

Peace be with you all.

In Christ Jesus,
Kyle Worthy

     




 

No comments:

Post a Comment